Saturday, August 18, 2012

Welcome to Makizono!


Unlike my fellow JETs in Kirishima, I must say I’m in the most beautiful location.  It’s a very scenic drive from Kokubu (which is the center of Kirishima) to Makizono (northern Kirishima).  The main road follows a narrow river valley for the most part and the buildings and shops through there are built right into the mountain side.  My apartment consists of two spacious rooms, a kitchen with no counter space, a toilet, a shower room, and a “laundry/sink/bathroom” room.  It’s much bigger than my fellow JETs’ in the city.  There is a bank, post office, and a small convenience store in my area, as well as elementary and junior high schools, at which I will be teaching.  I already have a new jogging route, but I have to go around 6pm because the weather is so hot here.

I guess my next topic should cover the weather.  It’s hot.  And not just your “oooo, nice weather, let’s get a tan” hot in Canada.  It’s 30 degrees and feels like 35 because of the humidity.  I really have to come to terms with my sweat here.  Today I went for a 10 min. walk and came back to my apartment drenched.  It’s a huge adjustment from Canada; even Vancouver seems dry compared to here.  It’s like a sauna outside every day.  Air Conditioning is my new best friend and I often rely on it, even in my car in the morning and evening.  It’ll be 28 degrees or so in the evening when it’s dark.  So who wants to come visit me first?  I have extra futons…










1 comment:

  1. SO AMAZING!! I am so happy that you are settling in nicely Kellie! I can relate to the hot temperatures.. I was stunned by them my first time in Asia.. but I learned to LOVE THEM! I'm sure you will be very comfortable in no time!

    ReplyDelete