Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tokyo Orientation

Tokyo Orientation consisted of two days in a classy hotel in Shinjuku, Tokyo.  I met more people than I ever imagined I would meet, and there was so much going on that it was almost overwhelming.  I attended seminars covering topics such as life in Japan, culture shock, and team teaching in the classroom.  Some of those seminars were useful.  Others were not.  I think I heard the “Don’t do drugs; they’re illegal” bit at least ten times, while there were some interesting activities situated around giving directions (and I mean only giving directions.  You’d think they’d branch out and do another topic, but no).  I roomed with a fellow Christian girl named Sasha and we became good friends during those two days.  I also met other JETs going to Kirishima:  two Brits and a Canadian from Newfoundland.  We all clicked pretty well, so I think it’s going to be a good year.  After two days of continental breakfasts and lunches where the eggs tasted like they could’ve come from a can and undercooked bacon, and a heartfelt goodbye to my new friend who was going to a different prefecture, I was off to Kirishima with other Kagoshima JETs.







No comments:

Post a Comment