Saturday, August 18, 2012

Driving and Not Crashing

I thought I would have a rough time with driving on the left side of the road, but I have to say, it’s not that bad.  The cars are very different here; they all look like boxes on wheels.  I have a white Honda in the shape of a cardboard box with a beak.  It’s really nice, but I must say, almost every car in Japan is gray or white, so I just so happened to temporarily lose my vehicle in a parking lot this morning.  The steering wheel is also on the other side of the car.  It’s like driving in a mirror.  The roads are very windy where I am and the speed limit is often no more than 50km/hr.  The slow speed works for me until I get to a straight stretch and feel compelled to go faster.  The roads are very narrow as well, especially more in the mountains where there’s only one lane and you wonder if you’re going to shmuck someone just around the corner.  Sharp corners have mirrors for seeing oncoming traffic so you don’t have to inch out and risk getting hit.  That’s one thing I wish Canada had.


No comments:

Post a Comment