Saturday, August 18, 2012

Kind, Happy People


In Japan, it’s custom to give omiyage or gifts to the people taking care of you.  I gave my best gift to my supervisor.  One day, the two Brits and I got lost trying to get their apartments and our supervisor had to come rescue us even though he was insanely busy.  His assistant has also been helping us with getting us to our apartments, our cars, and bank accounts.  I also gave gifts to the Super Intendant (not sure how to spell it) and the Shacho, who’s like the guy in charge of our flour.

I must say, when you don’t know a language very well and you want to introduce yourself to people, it can be a bit nerve-wrecking.  Today was no different.  I went into town and bought little hand towels as omiyage for my various neighbors.  Because of my shyness, I only ended up going to one house.  Honestly, they were the cutest little elderly couple I’ve ever met.  Somehow, I manage to convey that I was Canadian and was here as an English teacher.  The lady there, in turn, couldn’t get over how cute I looked.  She was constantly saying, “Oh, you’re so cute and beautiful.  Oh, your eyes, oh your face,” that kinda thing.  It was quite entertaining, and she seemed like the sweetest lady ever.  She was even more excited when I offered the towel.  She and her husband gave me a couple of cucumbers in return and said that I could come over and visit if I wanted to.  Of course, I was very thankful, and after a lot of smiling, laughing, and excessive bowing, she led me back to the end of their driveway and said, “Be careful” as I left.  I’m really glad I met them first.  I didn’t get to meeting anyone else because I was a little overwhelmed and happily buzzing over the whole experience of having to use my broken Japanese as best I could.  That was probably the highlight of my week so far.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are making friends and connections in your new country! Love the blog with pictures and updates :-) We all missed you at K&I's wedding last weekend and danced lots to make up for you not being there.
    Keep on writing!
    Lotsa love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly - What a great blog:) And what an exciting adventure you're on! Love the posts - most interesting - you sound happy and excited. Look forward to hearing more...
    love a sonja
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete