Friday, June 6, 2014

Into the Rainy Season

The beginning of this week marked the start of the notorious rainy season. Having experienced this last year, I can safely say that this is probably the worst time of year. So far, it hasn't been that bad. Monday and Tuesday were wrought with rain, but the weather cleared up with overcast and even some sunshine. It was enough to make me wonder where the rainy season went off to. I know better than to forget about it, though.

Last year, the worst of the rain lasted for two weeks straight. It was a memorable time, and not so much in a good way. I come from a pretty dry place in Canada. Sure, the weather can change on a whim with 15 minute storms passing through. In Kirishima, torrential rain can come in waves for an entire day. During those two weeks of rain last year, I had elementary school every day and had to be "genki" for the whole 7 hours of interacting with children. My mood those days was the very opposite of energetic (the rough definition of genki).

When the season starts, it actually isn't that bad. It's still cool enough to go for a pleasant jog. But when the end of June comes around, it's hot, humid, and excruciatingly uncomfortable. Every morning begins and ends with a shower to wash off the sweat that's accumulated on I body. That's right, two showers a day, sometimes even three if I feel disgusting in the afternoon. Right now, though, it hasn't gotten that bad.

Kirishima's rainy season lasts for about a month and a half on average. Following that is the nearly unbearable humid heat of August, but I'll save that for another time. For now, I have the loud frogs to fail falling asleep to and bad hair every day. The one good side to the rainy season are the flowers that only bloom this time of year. I have no idea what they're called, but they sure are beautiful, possibly one of my favourite kinds of flowers. They make this season slightly more bearable than just the two showers every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment